• Hi Philippe,

Welcome to Discover America. I understand that you prefer to write in English and I think for many of us it is interesting to read about your experiences on your trips.

I read your reports on the voyageforum (translated by Google) and I am in particular interested in your encounter with the native in the so-called Red Canyon. As you know it is no longer a secret where the Red Canyon is situated and I plan to go there in a month or so. I plan to arrive from the north (Tuba City) but there seems to be another possibility to go to Adeii Eechii Cliffs from Cameron. I don’t ask you for a route description if you want to keep it kind of a secret, however, it would be very helpful for my planning if I could avoid an encounter with the rather unfriendly native. Would it be possible to give some additional information where the native is living? Maybe there is a possibility to avoid passing his home.

In any case I will report here about my experiences on this trip to Adeii Eechii Cliffs, if the weather and the natives allow me to go there.

• Die stehen bei Helge

http://www.derzopfige.de/html/adeiieechiicliffs.html

Gruss
    Christian

Richtig, das hab ich auch gelesen. Aber es gibt auch noch eine Beschreibung von nördlich von Cameron aus glaub ich.

• Werner, das waren Gerd und ich. Ich hab das glaub in meinen Reisegrüßen erwähnt. Wir sind auf der Rückfahrt (sind ja aber nicht bis an den Cliffs gewesen, wegen Sandbänken und Sandsturm) dann nach Westen gefahren und oberhalb von Cameron rausgekommen. Ist kürzer und nicht ganz so holprig wie via Tuba City aus.

• Hallo Rainer,

I encountered (in my SUV) the “hostile” Indian while he was driving his motorcycle quite far away on the dirt road from the North described on Helge's page and on Westernlady's zip file. He told us that "we were on his family's lands" but I don't know exactly where he lives and what area covers "his family's lands". I tried to ask him about the border of his “family’s lands” but he didn’t want to answer this question and he insisted to tell us that "he just doesn't want to see any white people on all these dirt roads" (like some people don't want to see any people speaking another language than their native one on "their" forum ? ;) ), even for money, and that "he doesn't respect any permits given by Cameron, Window Rock or any Chapter House, because it is his land". As I don’t want to meet him again, I am not sure I will come back in this area in the future… :(

With my american friend (who was with me in 2009 when we encountered the Navajo) we told everything about that story to Helge when we met him and his wife (nice people ! =) ) by chance in the wilderness in May 2010 (I was surprised when Helge said hello calling me by my name :EEK: ). Even if this place is no more a secret, we advised Helge to remove off his website the precise information and GPS waypoints about this area, as there could be big problems if somebody following his information encounters this “hostile Navajo” (and/or somebody of his family) or if somebody leaves his SUV unattended while hiking (some flat tires in this remote area could be a very big trouble !). That’s just our point of view but everybody is free to do what he wants…

Gruss

Philippe

• Vielen Dank Philippe =)

Bei diesem weiträumigen einsamen Gebiet ist die Auskunft des "hostile" Indian ja wirklich sehr aufschlußreich.

Die Gegend dort ist wirklich sehr, sehr einsam. Und das Fahren auf den Dirtroads war nicht wirklich angenehm. War es bei Deinem ersten Besuch dort auch so sandig? Gerd und ich haben unsere Tour ja abgebrochen, da die sandigen Passagen zu groß wurden und wir nicht das Risiko eingehen, uns fest zu fahren.

• Und das Fahren auf den Dirtroads war nicht wirklich angenehm. War es bei Deinem ersten Besuch dort auch so sandig? Gerd und ich haben unsere Tour ja abgebrochen, da die sandigen Passagen zu groß wurden und wir nicht das Risiko eingehen, uns fest zu fahren.

Hallo,

I was in this area in 2006 and 2009 and there were some sandy sections, not very long but with quite deep sand : to avoid to be stuck in the sand, I used the manual 4WD gear of my Nissan XTerra or my Toyota 4Runner (good SUVs for off road driving). I discourage everybody to try to get there with a crossover SUV or a SUV with only AWD (without low gear), and also to drive with a single SUV in this remote area as any problem could get you in a big trouble, even if I know that some German people are used to say "no risk, no fun !" :)

Gruss

Philippe

• Leider ist nicht mehr so einfach einen guten SUV mit Untersetzung zu bekommen.

Since 2010, that is a VERY big problem for me as I need a good SUV (with real 4WD, enough high clearance and a normal spare tire) to drive to the kind of places that I like to visit and to sleep inside (Jeep Wrangler or Liberty or Patriot are too small).

In 2010, the best I could have was a Ford Explorer that is by far not so good than a Nissan XTerra or a Toyota 4Runner for bad dirt roads (not so good high clearance) but was very nice to sleep inside. It was the only 4WD standard SUV on the parking lot of Alamo, so I was not so unlucky, I could have a worst SUV.

Philippe

• Hallo Philippe,

ich finde es toll, dass Du Dich hier so nett und informativ beteiligst. Danke dafür =) :!!

Diesen Punkt möchte ich nochmal aufgreifen:

but everybody is free to do what he wants…

Genau aus diesem Grund bin ich so sehr für Erfahrungsberichte und tatsächliche Aufklärung.

Jeder Einzelne kann nur dann und "free" die richtige Entscheidung treffen, wenn er so viele Aspekte wie nur möglich kennt. Daher finde ich den Austausch von Erfahrungen so wichtig. Nur wenn ich weiß, dass ich für diese oder jene Gegend ein Permit oder einen Guide brauche, kann ich entsprechend handeln. Und das Permit oder den Guide kann ich auch nur dann kaufen/engagieren, wenn ich Kenntnis von der Lage habe.

Und wenn jemand das Wissen darüber hat, aber dennoch anders handelt, dann kann er in solchen Erfahrungsberichten lesen, was - im harmlosesten Fall - passieren kann.

Gerade um solche Risiken abwägen und einschätzen zu können, um sich ein Permit oder einen Guide zu besorgen muss man erstmal wissen:
    - Wo ist die Location?
    - Was für Voraussetzungen sind für den Besuch erforderlich?
    - Wo bekomme ich ein Permit oder Guide?

Leider liest man im www sehr oft "ist im Reservat, ist verboten, daher keine Auskunft".

Wenn der/die betreffende Person aber davon Bilder zeigt, dann weiß der Leser nicht, was er davon halten soll. Daher würde ich an dieser Stelle etwas mehr Aufklärungsarbeit begrüßen.

Genau so, wie Du Deine Informationen zu den Adeii Eechii Cliffs mit uns geteilt hast. Du bist "ohne alles" ;) dort gewesen, es war eine explosive Situation, es macht nicht wirklich Vorfreude auf eine Wiederholung. Sowas kann der Leser nachvollziehen, ohne dass er das Gefühl hat "hm, er war dort - ohne alles - aber ich soll nicht?"

Bei meiner diesjährigen Tour habe ich zusammen mit Gerd einen kompletten Tag im Red Valley verbracht. Ganz offiziell mit Guide (interessante Kombination: Navajo Man und weiße Lehrerin :gg: ) und ich muss auch sagen: Ich würde die von uns gefahrenen Strecken nicht einfach jemanden zur Verfügung stellen. Dort ist fast jede Straße mit einem "No trespassing" Schild gekennzeichnet. Es ist eine wunderbare Landschaft, der Royal Arch, andere tolle Felsformationen, ganz zu schweigen von den Einblicken, die man in das alltägliche Leben im Reservat, die Arbeit, Projekte, den Alltag etc. bekommt. Aber wenn jemand etwas wissen möchte, dann kann ich eine Anlaufsstelle nennen, wo man verlässlich Auskunft bekommt.

Ich finde diesen Austausch hier sehr interessant und würde mich über eine Fortsetzung freuen =)

Meine Worte sollen auf gar keinen Fall die Anregung zu einer Grundsatz-Diskussion über "Secrets" sein! Ich finde den Info-Austausch von Menschen, die im Reservat / in Gebieten, in denen Natives leben sehr interessant und lehrreich.

• Hello Philippe,

Thank you for your explanations. Your story discourages me a bit because I never had any encounter with hostile Indians so far. And such an encounter in a remote area makes it even worse. I will talk to the people in Cameron and will see what they know about the guy on the motorbike, or if they have any advise for me (except to stay away from that area).

Regards

• " but everybody is free to do what he wants… "

That also means that somebody is free to display pictures of a place (in 99.99% of cases, pictures of this place have already been published by somebody else on the web or on paper, that's why he looked for it and founded it) and is still be free to not disclose its location without beeing considered by others as a "bad guy" (as "das sind die schlimmsten" about me and my friends on this thread), for some reasons that he thinks beeing right : very fragile places or features, rock art or ruins that have to be protected, some places on Indian reservations (as the one we are talking about) for several reasons, places forbidden to visit without a guide or on private properties, and, last but not least, even for personal reasons as a promise made to the friends who told him this location and asked not to disclose it (for their own reasons whenever he agrees or not to them) beause a promise to a friend has not to be broken (personnaly, I will never break that kind of promise even if sometimes it is not easy to manage with some others close friends that ask me for it). If there is no strict promise to respect, it is also acceptable that somebody only tells some locations to very close friends that he knows for years and that he trusts in, for the same "right reasons" that you can read above.

But the same guy who don't want to disclose some very few locations can decide to publish the location of some other interesting places still seldom seen and that everybody could visit without too much risk or trouble for these places or the inhabitants around. As an example, in the early 2000, I personnally found the location of places like Wahweap Hoodoos, Egg Factory in Bisti badlands, False Kiva (at a time when only a very few pictures of them were published and when there was absolutely no information about their precise location on the web or in guidebooks) and I decided with Laurent Martres to publish them in Photographing the Southwest. My close German friends did the same with locations that they founded by themselves and that they published on their web sites.

We have to admit that in the real life, almost nothing is black or white but is rather different kind of greys, and that human beeings can have their own reasons to do "that" or "not that" depending of the circumstances, without being treated as "good" or "bad". This is just my opinion....

This will be my only post about that subject, as I want that everybody here knows my position (even if it is not accepted), I don't want to begin a series of contreversial posts about this sensible subject as it happened about English speaking on this forum !
    Gruss

Philippe

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit for Westernlady :

As I was writing this long post, I didn't read the edited version of your post before answering it.

Now that I have read it, I can also understand some of your concerns as you probably understand part of mine.

• This will be my only post about that subect, as I want that everybody here know my position (even if it is not accepted), I don't want to begin a series of contreversial posts about this sensible subject as it happened about English speaking on this forum !

Es ist dein gutes Recht, so zu verfahren. Viele in diesem Forum (ich eingeschlossen) würden anders handeln. Es gibt - wie du sicher verstehst - auch andere Interpretationen dieses Verhaltens und Argumente dagegen. Aber was solls. Die "Geheimnis-Fraktion" (na da bin ich jetzt auf die Übersetzung neugierig :gg: ) existiert und ich akzeptiers.

• Isch kammich schwach erinnern dattich von den Geheimagenten dammalz ermuhticht worden bin watt übba den blauen Bock zu schreiben, weil da so ville Versprechungen gemacht wurden dat keena etwatt sagen durfte - da wah dann nen Neutraler ganz nüzzlich. So musste niemand als Verräter dastähn ....

Schön datt allet so geblieben iss.

Ich hatte übrigens bei meiner Fahrt zu den Ätschi Bätschis nen besoffenen Hopi im Auto, für nen 10er, dachte das wär besser als nen Permit. Aber ich treffe ja unterwegs immer nur freundliche Winnetous, wäre also gannich nötich gewesen....

The oversitten shall not so easy be.... :MG:

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!